- This event has passed.
Bajo El Sol Presents Aftermath, An Exhibition of Works Made by Virgin Islands Artists
April 6, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
On Friday, April 6, at 6pm the Gri Gri Project at Bajo El Sol Gallery in Mongoose Junction, St. John will be hosting the opening of “Aftermath” an exhibition of works made by Virgin Islands artists in the wake of Hurricanes Irma and Maria.
Mongoose Junction’s traditional monthly “First Friday” art & music event will also be occurring the same evening from 6 pm to 9 pm.
This will be the first of two scheduled “First Friday” art & music events at Mongoose Junction since the 2017 Hurricane season.
2018 marks the 40th Anniversary of Mongoose Junction, and the Mongoose Junction Association has chosen to kick-off this event with a performance by and a fundraiser for the Love City Pan Dragons Youth Steel Orchestra.
“Aftermath” will feature:
– Live action painting by Ensor Colon.
– Mixed-media sculptures by Kurt Marsh Jr.
– A series of abstract paintings by Shansi Miller entitled, “My Neighbors Roof.”
– Narrative jewelry by goldsmith, Kimberly Nogueira entitled,“The Darkness Shall be the Light.”
– Abstract expressionist paintings by Ayn B. Riehle entitled,“Reflections”
– Mixed media paintings by Susan Edwards entitled, “Cat 5”.
– A series of photographs by David Knight Jr., entitled “Surfaces”
– Mixed media assemblages by the artist known as, P-la in collaboration with Larry Lipsky, entitled “Galvanized”.
Other gallery artists include Avelino Samuel, Aimee Trayser, and Steve Simonsen among others.
The Gri Gri project hopes to remind us that for all the destruction brought by September’s two Category 5 storms, creativity has also sprung up in the aftermath.
The show will run until May 4.