- This event has passed.
Mongoose Junction “First Friday” Series
January 6, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands- Discover, dine, and dance the night away on the first Friday of each month at Mongoose Junction in Cruz Bay, St. John. Dance to live music and enjoy a wide range of locally made art at the premiere shopping and dining destination in the Virgin Islands.
Fueled by creativity, diverse culinary experiences, art and music, the Mongoose Junction community will offer V.I. residents and visitors alike a stimulating, cultural experience starting at 6pm on the “First Friday” of each month from January through June 2017. Featuring, live music in the Courtyard with Visions Reggae Band from 6 to 9pm.
In addition, 30 unique Mongoose merchants will be hosting artists, art exhibit openings, live music, and special offers. Among some of the First Friday art gallery & retail offerings on Friday, January 6th include:
- Best of Both Worlds will be featuring St. John artist, Janet Cook-Rutnik. The work featured at the gallery will include paintings and original prints on canvas that reference the changing landscape of the Virgin Islands. In addition, Cook-Rutnik will feature acrylic paintings on paper which capture the fleeting sensations of the glorious sunsets and seascapes of the Virgin Islands. Other gallery artists include, Kimberly Boulon, Kat Sowa, Elaine Estern and Candice Greathouse.
- Bajo El Sol Gallery will be opening its exhibition entitled “An Island is a World,” named for the 1955 novel by Trinidadian writer Sam Selvon. The exhibition features work by eight artists working on St. John, St. Thomas and St. Croix. The painting, photography, performance and site-specific sculpture included in the show depict subtle and surprising moments of beauty that often reveal themselves on small islands whose natural borders are the sea. Participating artists are David Berg, Janet Cook- Rutnik, Luca Gasperi, Mitch Gibbs, Livy Hitchcock, Mark Isaacs, Lucy Portlock, and Brenda Sylvia. Special performing guest artists at the opening will be Amy Gibbs and Shary N. Cruz.
- St. John Experience Gallery will present live painting by local artist Monica Knaggs. Mention the words” First Friday” and receive 20%-40% off select items. Bamboula will offer henna body painting by artist Carolyn Roust on a walk in basis from 5:00-7:00. Designs start at $10.
- Mention the phrase “First Friday” and receive a free sterling silver petroglyph charm, with a purchase of $20 or more at Caravan Gallery.
- Friends of Virgin Islands National Park will have a 20% off on select items.
- Portico will be celebrating the launch of their new website porticoshop.com and will be gifting 10% discount cards for online purchases.
- Sugarbirds will feature new photography images by owners, John and Dean Baldwin.
Included in Mongoose Junction’s first Friday Friday restaurant offerings:
- Enjoy art work by artist, Patty Tacquard at Ocean Grill Restaurant which features fresh, contemporary cuisine.
- Celebrating 20 years on St. John, guests will receive a complimentary slice of Key Lime Pie at Sun Dog Café with a minimum purchase of $15.
- The Tap Room will offer free brewery tours and beer tastings at 6:00 & 7:30 pm. Buy any combination of 3 T-Shirts and/or Hats, and receive a FREE Pint Glass at the Brewtique.
- Viva Cantina will offer Tequila tastings from an extensive collection at half price until 9 pm and will host a Club Viva Dance party with St. John’s Soca Sensation the “Ah We” band until 2 am. Viva’s featured artists is Kimberley Boulon.
Mongoose Junction’s first “First Friday” event of the season promises to be a fun and art filled evening. For further information, visit the Mongoose web site at www.mongoosejunctionstjohn.com.