Colaire Allegedly Violates Curfew, Makes Threats; Probation Could Be Revoked

Nestor Colaire, one of the men charged in connection with the Oct. 29, 2005, murder of David Geiger and the attempted murder of Geiger’s son, Nathan, has allegedly violated a condition of his release from jail and could soon see his probation revoked.

Colaire was seen at The Front Yard on Saturday night, May 13, around midnight, according to a resident who asked to remain anonymous.

The resident, who used to work with Colaire and Robert Ferguson — who are both charged with attempted murder, arson and being an accessory after the fact in connection with the Geiger case — told St. John Tradewinds he was confronted by Colaire at the Cruz Bay bar on Saturday evening.

The resident said he had discussed Colaire and Ferguson’s involvement in the case with a mutual friend and the conversation was reported back to Colaire, who was unhappy with what he was told the resident had said.

“Colaire told me something to the effect of, ‘you’d better watch your step or something is going to happen,’” said the resident.

Police Unfamiliar With Case
The resident went to the police station the next day, where he said he was met with hostility.

“I was treated like a criminal,” said the resident. “They told me that what Colaire had said was not a threat.”

The police said they were unfamiliar with the murder case and Colaire’s involvement, according to the resident, despite the fact Colaire is required to check in with the V.I. Police Depart-ment every day as a condition of his release.

Colaire, who was released on Feb. 6 to the custody of his mother, Marlene Casimir of Pastory, and his aunt, Catherine Morton, also must abide by a curfew from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., and must not leave the territory or violate any V.I. laws.

Prosecutor Acts
Assistant Attorney General Ernest Bason, chief of the V.I. Justice Department’s criminal division for St. Thomas and St. John, immediately contacted the resident after Bason was asked about the alleged curfew violation and threat by St. John Tradewinds.

“Bason called me this morning,” said the resident on Tuesday, May 16. “He told me that if I’m willing to submit a report and possibly appear in court, that he will be able to revoke Colaire’s probation and put him back in jail. That makes me feel really, really good.”

“None of this would have happened if I hadn’t come to the Tradewinds,” the resident continued.

The resident returned to the police station on Tuesday, May 16, to obtain a copy of the report he had filed on Colaire’s threat.

“I went back in there, but now they are saying that the report is messed up and that I have to come back,” said the resident.

Bason planned to contact V.I. Police Department Commissioner Elton Lewis regarding the police response to the resident’s attempt to file a report, according to the resident, who said he is leaving island in a month.

“This just broke my heart,” he said. “This is the reason I’m finally moving away after being here for five years.”

Bason would not comment on the specifics of the recent development out of concern that Colaire will flee the territory.

“We are working on this right now,” said Bason. “We are going to try to revoke his probation.”