Today, Congresswoman Stacey E. Plaskett unveiled House Democrats’ new framework for a five-year, $760 billion investment that would create an estimated 10 million jobs addressing some of the country’s most urgent infrastructure needs, from the massive maintenance backlog to designing safer streets, to putting the U.S. on a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector and increasing resiliency. This framework would bolster the federal role in order to help communities around the country undertake transformative projects that are smarter, safer and made to last.
“I came to Congress to work on issues facing everyday Americans, like fixing our nation’s crumbling infrastructure by making it easier for communities in the Virgin Islands to carry out transformational projects. I am proud to support this framework because I believe it is the road map we need to put people to work building the infrastructure of the future. I look forward to working with my House colleagues to move forward on infrastructure legislation.”
“Among other things, the framework outlines major investments, including those in surface transportation, airports, ports and harbors, wastewater and drinking water infrastructure, brownfields and broadband – all areas important to the Virgin Islands.
“It is infrastructure investment that is smarter, safer and made to last – with a framework that:
- Brings existing infrastructure into a state of good repair and enables the completion of critical projects through long-term, sustainable funding.
- Sets a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector, creating jobs, protecting our natural resources, promoting environmental justice and increasing resiliency to climate change.
- Ensures a transportation system that is green, affordable, reliable, efficient and provides access to jobs.
- Provides safe, clean and affordable water and wastewater services.
- Prioritizes the safety of the traveling public.
- Helps combat climate change by creating good-paying jobs in clean energy, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution.
- Expands broadband internet access, adoption for unserved and underserved rural, suburban and urban communities.
- Modernizes 9-1-1 public safety networks.
- Creates family-wage jobs with Davis-Bacon and other strong worker protections.
- Supports U.S. industries, including steel and manufacturing, through strong Buy America protections
“When we invest in infrastructure, it results in a significant economic multiplier – with each dollar spent, our nation becomes more competitive and prosperous. [The] Democrats’ new infrastructure framework creates jobs, bolsters American industry, and builds the smart, safe connections between communities that our country needs to advance.”