The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Fisheries reminds fishermen and the public of the upcoming seasonal closure on fishing for/ or possession of red, black, tiger, yellowfin and yellowedge grouper in U.S. Caribbean federal waters.
• This closure began at 12:01 a.m., local time, on Feb. 1, 2019, and will extend through 11:59 p.m., local time, April 30, 2019.
• This prohibition on possession does not apply to such grouper harvested and landed on shore prior to the closure.
The Grammanik Bank area is located south of St. Thomas and bounded by the following coordinates:
A) 18°11.898′ N, 64°56.328′ W
B) 18°11.645′ N, 64°56.225′ W
C) 18°11.058′ N, 64°57.810′ W
D) 18°11.311′ N 64°57.913′ W
E) 18°11.898′ N, 64°56.328′ W
These seasonal closures protect species when they are spawning (reproducing) and are therefore more vulnerable to fishing pressure.
NOAA Fisheries reminds fishermen and the public of the upcoming seasonal closure on fishing for or possession of any fish species, except highly migratory species, in the Grammanik Bank area off St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (Figure 1).
• This closure begins at 12:01 a.m., local time, on February 1, 2019, and extends through 11:59 p.m., local time, April 30, 2019.
• The term “fish” means finfish, mollusks, crustaceans, and all other forms of marine animal and plant life other than marine mammals and birds.
Sign up for text message alerts to find out about immediate openings and closures
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows people to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message and data rates may apply. Anyone may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts that may be received:
• Immediate fishery openings and closures
• Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
• Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
o Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
• Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
o Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
• South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
o Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
• South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
o Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
• Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
o Text CARIBFISH to 888777