The Virgin Islands Waste Management Authority Preserving Paradise team issues the following advisory to the public in anticipation of Tropical Storm Karen, which will impact the territory on Tuesday, Sept. 24.
· All contractors have been advised to commence multiple hauls to remove solid waste and other disposed items in the vicinity of current bin sites
· Landfills will operate on their regular schedules as weather permits
· Landfills on St. Thomas and St. Croix will close at 4 p.m. on Monday
· The Landfill on St. John will close at 2 p.m. on Monday.
· Residents are advised that waste water system may be surcharged due to inclement weather caused by Tropical Storm Karen. Residents are advised to avoid ponding water near manholes and exercise caution while driving and walking in flooded roads.
· VIWMA staff are all designated as essential and are instructed to follow the directions of their supervisors regarding their emergency work schedules.
Residents can call the Authority’s hotline at 844-WMA-USVI (844-962-8784) to report any problems or concerns.
For more information, contact the VIWMA Office of Communications Management at 513-4171 or email email@example.com. Also, follow VIWMA on Facebook, LinkedIn and/or Twitter.