Monkeypox vaccines will be available throughout the territory beginning Monday, Aug. 22. According to the V.I. Health Department, the vaccine is available by appointment only and to the following at-risk population:
- Persons who have been in intimate/close contact with someone who is confirmed to have Monkeypox within two weeks.
- Persons who are more likely to be exposed to Monkeypox and who meet the following criteria for vaccination for Monkeypox prevention:
- Laboratory workers
- Emergency room clinical staff
- Public health and urgent care clinical staff
- Emergency first responders
- Severely immunocompromised
- Men who have sex with men
- Anyone with two or more sexual partners in the past three months
- Anyone using street drugs during sex
- Anyone who has had syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas, or any other acute sexually transmitted infection in the past three months
- Anyone incarcerated in the past three months
- Anyone who has attended a sex party or visited a group sex site in the past three months
- Sex workers
Anyone who is eligible and interested in receiving the vaccine can call the Communicable Diseases Division Clinic for eligibility confirmation and scheduling of vaccination through the DOH Clinics. The contact number for both districts is 340-774-9000, ext. 4663.